Friday, September 6, 2013

Custom Look Drapery DIY

I've got a great DIY for y'all today. It's a super easy way to get a custom look on your drapes without spending custom dollas. I've used this trick a few times before and I am finally getting around to doing it in my own house (cobblers children people, cobblers children). Now, I love custom drapery as much as the next person, but I just don't want to pay that kind of money for window coverings. I'd rather spend it on wine or pillows. Or shoes! Anywho, back to the task at hand.

I've had these drapes in my master bedroom for years (!!!!) with the ol' ring and clip action. I didn't use the hidden tabs on the back because I need these to open and close easily. So this is what I have been living with. Ugh. Terrible.



Enter pin-on drapery hooks. The best part...they are $1. I got these at JoAnn Fabric.


First thing, take pliers and remove all those clamps from your rings until you have a nice little pile. I left the rings on the rods to make it easier and also because I'm lazy. (Sneak peak of new linen bedding!)



I like using back tab curtains because the tabs are evenly spaced and make a nice little place to center your hook. I just kind of eyeball it and slide the hook in near the center of the tab. You could easily use pole top curtains but you may need to measure to get the hooks spaced correctly. You want to leave a bit of curtain above the pin so that it is hidden from view when you re-hang it.


And then once all the hooks are in, hang them on your rings!

Ta-da!


So much better right? I love when things are easy and cheap. Now, off to buy more wine.


P.S. I was just looking at these pics and I thought, what if you pin the curtains to where you don't see any of the rings or the bar?! I am going to try that out.

Verdict: I like seeing the bar. 




No comments:

Post a Comment