Friday, February 27, 2015

New House Files: The Master

Things are sort of at a weird in-between stage on the house. Kind of a calm before the storm. Plans are being permitted and things are getting priced. I'm picking out things like brick, doors, and windows. I'm designing built-ins and fielding calls from the contractor husband about 5 times a day. I've had a few people ask me if building a house is hard. It's not hard for me. I always ask them "Can you handle making 5 decisions at one time and not changing your mind?" Or, "Do you care about things like gutters and grout lines?" If you can and do, building a house should be pretty easy for you. If you can't and don't, you can still build a house, but it will take you about 3 years…or you can hire someone to make all the decisions for you while you drink sangria on a beach. Or something like that.

Because gutters are not exciting at all, I've been dreaming up a master bedroom design board. I really had no idea what I wanted to do until the genius that is Biscuit launched their Spring collection. I fell hard and fast for the Bloomsbury in green and ordered the duvet in about 30 seconds. So naturally everything is falling into place now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to reupholster our bed in a light blue to make it pop off the Schumacher linen wallpaper. I also want to do a chaise in front of the windows. I love this slipcovered version, but with a pink tape trim added to the bottom.

I'm also carpeting our bedroom this time. Last house we did hardwoods and it never felt cozy and inviting. I'm hoping to find something with a subtle animal print sort of like the one on the board. A few accent fabrics for pillows and the such and voila!




No comments:

Post a Comment