Friday, September 5, 2014

Paris By Way of London

Every few years the hubby and I try to take a big trip, alternating between who gets to choose where we go. Two years ago the hubs chose Mexico so this time, I'm up. And my motto is, go big or go home. So London and Paris it is. We are going next month...I know, last minute much?….but we are trying to get it in before house building craziness starts. And honestly, who wants to wait 6 months for a trip anyway? So we are leaving in 6 weeks. Carpe Diem! I have never been to London and I am so excited I can't stand it. Naturally I have been researching hotels like a crazy person. I prefer to stay in small boutique style places rather than large, 200 room mega hotels. I live and die by Trip Advisor. I read reviews until my eyes cross, but I. Love. It.

For London, the Dean Street Townhouse. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. Small, English, historic, well-designed, awesome.





Yes, yes, and more yes. Yes to all the things.

We are in London for 3 days, so it's basically a "hit the high points" trip for me. The hubs has been there twice so he is just tagging along for my benefit and letting me call the shots. And by "shots" I mean hitting up Stella McCartney, drinking lots of Pimm's Cups, and hoping I run into Kate Middleton. I think we would be besties.

And then a two hour train ride to my favorite place in all the planets.
Paris.

We are staying again in my favorite area, the 9th arrondissement. It's non-touristy with neighborhood fromageries, boulangeries and cafes. Emphasis on the fromageries. My love of french cheese knows no bounds. Last time we stayed there we walked down the sidewalk with a class of 6 or 7 year old schoolchildren dressed in peacoats, hats, and knee socks, giggling with each other in French (probably about us silly Americans). It was like someone looked up "Paris" in a Google image search. And I was instantly hooked on that neighborhood. I might have even checked out real estate listings. And then was instantly depressed at the euro to dollar conversion. So the fact that we are going back there makes me giddy with happiness and glee. 

This time around we are staying at Hotel Joyce. It's quirky and unpretentious and right up my alley. Dare I say it even looks spacious? Last time we were in a room the size of my dining table. But honestly who really cares. It's Paris.





I'm looking forward to Paris the second time around. We've done all the touristy things, Eiffel tower, a brisk walk through the Louvre, Notre Dame, etc. So this time I really just plan on hanging out. And taking a trip to the flagship Chanel store. And buying a lovely piece of art in Montmartre. And eating lots of cheese. Fantastique!










No comments:

Post a Comment