Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Rule No. 1 - Art and More Art

I wanted to do a little series on a few key "rules" of decorating. Now, these are only my personal views about these things, because, well, there aren't really any rules to decorating anymore. Except maybe faux wood paneling. Don't do that.

It will be just a few ideas that I usually always incorporate in the design of a room....my safety blankets of interior decorating. We start off with art. Buy it. Lots of it. There is nothing more boring in the world than an empty wall. Art makes a home feel warm, cozy, and finished. It also shows your personality. I'm drawn to antique equestrian art and modern abstracts. It's crazy but it works. Don't get stuck buying in one era or medium or your home might end up looking like the antiquities wing of the MET. Mix it up, it's essential. And I know people love family photos...and they are great, but don't let that be the only thing on your walls. People want to be able to look at something besides your face. Just sayin.

The wonderful thing about the internet is that we have access to so many great artists...and affordable artwork! Websites like Etsy, UGallery, and Ebay are fantastic resources. I could go on for days about artwork online, but you don't have the time to read it all and I don't have the time to write it all. My best advice is to just dive in and start searching. And frequent antique stores around your city. That is where I find 90% of the art in my home.

Phew. That was a lot of words. Now for some pretty pictures. There is nothing better than an art filled home...

Kate and Andy Spade....the best of the best
It gets me everytime.
The Spades again
Art in homes • living room • Kathryn Ireland living room


Art in Homes • Sweden in Palm Beach. Lars Bolander.
this room needs a little modernity to mix it up (it's looking a bit renaissance-y for my taste),
 but I love the styling of the art. See that wall in the back with the stacked gold framed canvas? Love.
Art in homes

Art in Homes • Of Stars and Butterflies...
this photo has been a favorite for a long time.
A perfect example of going large-scale.
1-22-art-loft-2.jpg

A nice reason to spend time here
a collection of what I am sure is flea-market finds.
Where else do you have the time to sit and admire?

So go forth and purchase! The art world can be a little intimidating, but buy what makes you happy when you look at it and then you can never go wrong. 











No comments:

Post a Comment