Monday, January 21, 2013

An Easy Fix-It for Painted Brass

I found a pair of these federal style sconces at a flea market, but someone had ruined them by painting them white! I knew there was fantastic brass under there and I almost walked away (I HATE stripping paint) until my antiquing partner in crime, Liz, told me about this fantastic way to remove old paint.



Enter the crock pot. 

She pointed me to this web page and a few hours of simmering later later I had this!




Amazing right? The paint just peeled off!  I will never pass up painted brass again (unless it doesn't fit in the crock pot).

note: I would use an old crock pot or be sure to line the pot you have with those slow cooker liners to make sure it doesn't ruin it. Mine came out fine.

another note: Visit said antiquing friend Liz's website for fantastic antique rentals (for you Birmingham folks)! www.cameovintagerentals.com




No comments:

Post a Comment