Thursday, January 10, 2013

Deep Thoughts


I received Nate Berkus' book "The Things that Matter" for Christmas this year (someone DOES read my blog!) and I was so happy to dive into it this past weekend. I came away from it knowing 2 things, first, Nate and I must have been separated at birth, and second, he has an incredible story to tell. About the second thing first (huh)...I had no idea that Nate was with his partner in Sri Lanka when the tsunami hit the day after Christmas a few years ago and that he survived (barely..the story is amazing) but his partner was swept away and was never seen again. How heart wrenchingly sad. 
But on a lighter note, I had always wanted someone to validate my serious love of collecting things (hoarding??), of antique stores, of thrift stores and yard sales. I have always been drawn to objects that are a little weird but remind me of a certain place, feeling, or time that I have experienced. I see that little painting or brass object or book and I am immediately taken to that place. It's such a wonderful comfort for me, to be surrounded by things that make me happy. Nate Berkus also has this disease. It's nice to know I'm in good company.

This quote from his book sums it all up...

"For me, the most successful interiors in the world are put together by people who surround themselves with objects that bring them joy, and make them feel really at home."

Exactly.




Collector much? Who else out there has the disease?

No comments:

Post a Comment